Thursday 6 October 2016

At Ebernoe

It was a beautiful day on Sunday. The Sussex Fungus Group meeting in Northchapel finished at lunchtime and I had a rucksack full of cheese rolls and nothing to do which couldn't wait, so I decided to stop off at Ebernoe on my way home – see what was happening.

I'm not even going to try and describe how lovely Sussex Wildlife Trust's Ebernoe Common nature reserve is. You should just go there and see for yourself.

I walked down the main track and over the cattle grid to the muddy track which leads to the old brick kiln. 

Growing in the ditch near the junction were these brown mushrooms. A quick look underneath revealed decurrent gills and I thought they might be Brown Rollrim Paxillus involutus. But now I'm not so sure. The rims are noticeably not rolled in this picture.



Nearby a species I feel fairly familiar with now Blushing Bracket Daedaleopsis confragosa.



The pungent smell of garlic gave these away: Garlic Parachute Marasmius alliaceus.



Never seen one of these before, it's some kind of Coral fungus; but there are several species which all look alike. I'm tempted to call this one Upright Coral Ramaria stricta, on the basis it's growing in broadleaf woodland and the tips are quite pointed on branches which fork repeatedly from the base. But I think the Ramaria are probably microscope jobs, to be sure.



A tufty one! I want to call this one Sulphur Tuft Hypholoma fasciculare. But, hmm, not sure.



Applying what I learnt during the morning's fungus foray, I reckon this one's a Deer Shield Pluteus cervinus.



Beyond the Brick Kiln, on what I thought was the path towards Leconfield Glade, except I never found Leconfield Glade, I came across a fair number of Saffrondrop Bonnet Mycena crocata.



Thought this might be the white form of a Deathcap Amanita phalloides var. alba. It didn't smell like raw potatoes, so I'm ruling out False Deathcap.



 And I found this troop of mushrooms growing up through the leaf litter.



Don't know what these were. The light was fading, and I was starting to feel a bit lost – as often happens in Ebernoe – so I didn't stay long enough for a proper look.


I retraced my steps back to the Brick Kiln and took the path through the woods which leads to Furnace Meadow.




As well as some rotting Boletes, I came across this patch of mushrooms which I think are Milkcaps Russulaceae of some kind.


Not sure what I'm doing with Milkcaps.


Further on I found these pale beige mushrooms growing in association with Oak


But not really sure where to start with these.


In Furnace Meadow I found this parade of Bolete mushrooms which seemed like they might be growing in association with a trail of dried-out old cow pats. The caps were all cracked and I thought they might be Sepia Bolete Boletus porosporus.




The pores certainly discoloured blue. But I'm not sure about the Boletes either.



For the record
Date: 2 October 2016
Location: Ebernoe Common
Grid ref: SU977276 (first six species); SU980273 (species seven to nine); SU979275 (species 10 & 11); SU979277(the bolete)
Entered into FRDBI: 13/02/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment