Saturday 20 February 2016

Tricky (Trichia?)

Just a couple of species I haven't seen before in Tottington Wood today.

A quick poke around in that woodpile revealed these little mustard-coloured capsules on the underside of a log. I wonder if this is another slime mold (perhaps from the genus Trichia), like the one I found on the old beech tree at Rowland Wood.

Old stacks of cut hazel seemed to be providing some good bracket fungus habitat:
With those colourful bands of colour on a velvety upper side and a creamy-white underside covered in tiny pores, I'm tempted to call these thin brackets Turkeytail Trametes versicolor. But that seems a bit suspiciously easy.

After turning over one particularly old and past-it looking Trametes sp., I found this:
I think this rather fetching ruby colour is another fungus, growing on the bracket fungus. Here's what it looks like under the microscope:
Perhaps another Cosmospora species, like the red beads I found on Beech Woodwart Hypoxylon fragiforme?

I'm going to "phone a friend" on this one and post it in the Sussex Fungi Yahoo group.

UPDATE 13/03/16 - Nick Aplin of Sussex Fungus Group was kind enough to take a look at these two species I found in Tottington Wood.

According to Nick, the first species is Trichia varia (quite chuffed that my guess at genus was correct) "quite a common species which is characterised by a helical capillitium of +/- two spiralling bands which are often a bit 'lopsided'." And here's Nick's photo showing that helical capillitium:

The second species is Hypomyces rosellus, and Nick must have some super-duper microscope as he's produced this fabulous macro shot of it a composite of 16 stacked images:

And here's another of Nick's photos, of some of its bits:


For the record
Date: 20 February 2016
Location: Tottington Wood
Grid ref: TQ215127
Added to FRDBI: 13/02/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment